Texas Execution Information Center

Execution Report: Windell Broussard

Windell Broussard
Windell Broussard
Executed on 30 January 2002

Windell Broussard, 41, was executed by lethal injection on 30 January in Huntsville, Texas for the murder of his wife and stepson.

In October 1992, Dianna Fay Harris Broussard, 28, and her son, Corey Harris, 10, were stabbed to death in their home. Broussard's daughter, Toccara Harris, 9, was also stabbed, but survived. She identified her stepfather, Windell Broussard, then 32, as the assailant. At his trial, Toccara told jurors that she was asleep in bed with her mother and brother and awoke to hear her mother screaming, "Windell, stop!" She also said that she saw Broussard's face as he slashed and stabbed all three of them. She said that Dianna and Corey ran out of the bedroom and out into the front yard and that Broussard followed them.

At Broussard's trial, other members of the Harris family testified that Dianna separated from Broussard because he beat her. They also testified witnessing arguments between them and heard Broussard make death threats against her. Her uncle, Elton Harris, testified that he installed a new padlock on her door, but she lost the key and he saw Broussard in her house one week before the murders.

Broussard's friend, Cornell Bush, testified that Broussard asked him to drive to his wife's house on the night of the murders. Broussard offered Bush money to use his car, which had dark tinted windows, but Bush refused. After driving past the house, they went back to Bush's house. Broussard eventually left in his truck at 9:00 or 9:30 p.m.

Broussard's aunt, Lessie Hardage, testified that at 11:00 or 11:30 p.m., Broussard came home wearing only his underwear. She said he "rushed in like something happened" and jumped up and down saying, "I did something." When she asked him, "Did you kill somebody?" Broussard said, "Yes, I killed somebody."

Officer Jimmy Clark of the Port Arthur police department testified that when he arrived at the scene at around 11:00 or 11:30 p.m., Dianne Broussard and Corey Harris were lying in the yard, stabbed to death. He said that "a little bloody girl" (Tocarra Harris) was inside and there was blood all over the house. A pack of Kool cigarettes -- the brand Broussard smoked -- was found on the bed along with the missing key to the padlock. A cap bearing the logo of Broussard's employer was also found at the scene. Tocarra Harris was seriously wounded, but survived.

Windell Broussard had previously been in prison three times. In 1981, he began serving a 10-year sentence for kidnapping. He was paroled after 2½ years. In August 1986, he was returned as a parole violator, but he was released again in October. In March 1990, he received a new 9½-year sentence for robbery. He was paroled after three months. (At the time, early release was common in Texas because of strict prison population caps imposed by U.S. District Judge William Wayne Justice.) His criminal record also showed convictions for marijuana possession (30 days in jail), aggravated kidnapping (180 days in jail), and driving with a suspended license (6 months probation). In September 1991, he hit Dianna Broussard in the face with his fist and was sentenced to 20 days in jail for assault of a family member.

Continued on Page 2

Privacy PolicyContactAdvertising